Today we had our first prenatal appointment. We met our doctor and she's awesome. She even tolerated my entire page full of questions I had written out last night. When do we get our first ultrasound? When can we find out if it's a boy or a girl? What happens if I go into labor and you are out of town? Will our baby have diabetes? Will our baby have crooked pinkies? What does amniocentesis mean? How do you spell amniocentesis?
Okay so some of those I didn't actually ask, but I wanted to! I did find out some wonderful news that I am supposed to avoid most chemicals found in cleaning supplies if I'm not in a well-ventilated room. You know what that means? Eric just got promoted to Official Bathroom Cleaner for the next eight months! Hooray!
The doctor also told me that my cervix looked "very pregnant" which I can only assume is a good thing seeing as I am pregnant. So there you go.
Next on the agenda, for all you structured folks like me out there who like to know what to expect, are the following events in random order:
- Our first photo opp. The scheduling of this is dependent on how soon I can sweet talk Dr. Uncle into sneaking me into one of his baby picture room thingies. (Can you tell by that articulate description that I came away from our first prenatal appointment with a brilliant grasp on all things pregnancy related?)
- Our first panic attack. This is an unscheduled event to take place upon the realization that, "Surprise! We're having an actual human being in t-minus however many weeks" and "Surprise! We have to figure out how to keep that thing alive...all by ourselves!"
- Our first hormonal meltdown. Oh wait, that already happened. (See previous blog entry.)
- Our first fight about the name of our child. Oh wait, that already happened, too. No, Eric, remember my rule? No baby names that you say in a Tony Danza voice. Which rules out all names from Who's the Boss characters. Samanthuh. Angeluh. Monuh. NO.
- Our first trip to Babies R Overwhelming to register for the truck load of baby STUFF that we'll soon be wading through asking each other, "Have you seen the dog?"
- Our first big question answered. Yes, we are finding out. Yes, we will tell you. No, we don't think it will ruin the surprise. Boy or Girl? Anyone have a vote?
Well, that's all I've got for now. I'm sure there will be plenty more to come. Until then, say a little prayer for our little blueberry who's growing up so fast and making us parents grow up fast, too!