Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hey, you! Preggo!

So, the other day I stopped in at Mr. Goodcents to order a sandwich:

Guy Behind the Counter: What can I get you?
Me: Half pepperoni and cheese on white, please. (I know, sounds gross, but it's a childhood favorite and has been a craving throughout my pregnancy)
GBC: What kind of cheese?
Me: Swiss, please.
Pause while he gets the bread out and cuts it.
GBC: So, do you know what you're having?
Me: Confused look. Yeah, pepperoni and cheese.
GBC: Laughing. No, I mean your baby.
Me: Embarrassed and looking down at my protruding belly. Oh. I forgot about that. It's a girl.

In my defense, I'm not used to strangers commenting on my belly. It's taken me off guard recently that complete strangers now notice that I'm pregnant and want to talk to me about it. It used to be that I couldn't go 5 minutes without being reminded that I'm pregnant by that ever-present threat of nausea and exhaustion, but now that I'm feeling better I sometimes forget that I'm pregnant. But I'm also much more obviously pregnant which, I guess, explains the aforementioned incident.

Since finding out that we're having a girl, I have been in full-on nursery obsession mode. Much to Eric's dismay, I have already bought and returned 4 rugs, 2 bedding sets, rearranged the room thrice, and have wavered on my plans for colors, themes, painting, etc more times than Lila kicks me after I eat cookies and milk (which is a lot). My dad says her kicking should be interpreted as "Quit feeding me junk, Mom!" I know better. She's saying, "Mmmm, good stuff! More of that!" I read in my baby book that this season of pregnancy is often accompanied by a surge of "nesting" hormones. Meaning, I feel the uncontrollable urge to clean and arrange and plan even more than my norm! Which maybe explains why I overreacted to an "small" infestation we had last week - but I'll leave that story for another post.

In the meantime, as Eric mentioned, I'm celebrating my functioning pancreas by indulging in some good ole cookies and cream...or maybe some Thin Mints. Lila and I thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

Jessica Kahler said...

ya for functioning pancreases! (sorry eric. we still love your pancreas even though it is a bit of a slacker)