Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lila's Favorite Dance Music, vol I.

Well, Sarah, I'm glad you asked. You see, being much immersed in popular culture and not yet in being a father, one of the things that most excited me about impending parenthood was the realization that BABIES CAN HEAR MUSIC IN UTERO. Yep. I yelled it cause I mean it. So one of the first things I planned to do during Kelsey's pregnancy was create a mix tape for the life growing inside her (let's be honest- it was probably the first thing. And yes, I said tape. It commands a greater and more earnest sense of authenticity even though the only cassette deck I still own is gathering dust in the garage).

After entirely too much deliberation about possible narratives and tone and song selection (I'm obsessive about mix composition) I settled on a playlist with a pretty simple theme that I think will do Lila right. It's just fifteen of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Now I have to clarify that statement a bit; these are not necessarily the definitive top fifteen most beautiful songs ever. I have plenty more, but I don't want to go overboard on her before she even meets me.

You may be asking yourself what exactly qualifies one of the fifteen most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Lucky you. I feel like sharing. Some of these tracks are simply stunning instrumental arrangements (I know, I know. I put my own band on there. Sue me), some have heartbreaking vocals or poignant lyrics, but some just voice a desire I have for my first born or values that I hope she grows into. So, those of you who want to analyze it, or those who just want to know what she likes to dance to, here'go. Lila's Beautiful Song Mix for the Womb:

1. Welcome, Lori Chaffer
2. I Will, The Beatles
3. The Golden Age, Beck
4. When The Saints, Sara Groves
5. Lonnie's Lament, John Coltrane
6. Different Names For The Same Thing, Death Cab For Cutie
7. Her Innocence, Her Armor, Builder
8. The Scarlet Tide, Elvis Costello
9. God Only Knows, The Beach Boys
10. When It Don't Come Easy, Patty Griffin
11. Sweet Thing, Van Morrison
12. Clowned, Robert Deeble
13. When The Stars Go Blue, Ryan Adams
14. :Hallelujah., Jon Shirley
15. Where Will I Be, Emmylou Harris

By all means, ask me for a copy or make your own. Then you can listen along with Lila and you'll have something in common with the awesome kid the second she takes a breath. And who wouldn't want that?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for answering my question, Eric! Now... what is her favorite dance move? ;)

Jessica Kahler said...

um yes please. i want a copy. now!
oops.
that sounded mean.
i meant it more enthusiastic than mean.
now! (please and thank you)
better?

eric said...

S.P.- I'm not positive, but I think I can guess with relative certainty that her moves are limited to floating in a ball position and stretching her limbs at random intervals. And the robot. Always the robot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelsey and Eric, thanks for the "dancing" belly. So cute. I wish I would have gotten that big to see Tony move. I haven't been on the blog for a couple weeks. I have grandma visiting and working at YRC again. Take care, Katy
any baby showers planned?

amy said...

Eric, I must say that you have impeccable taste in music. So glad you're passing that along to Lila. Awesome kid, indeed!