Sunday, October 10, 2010

What should Lila be for Halloween?

Well folks, it's October and you know what that means: honeycrisp apples, cooler weather (in theory), pumpkin patch excursions and, oh ok, Halloween.  Blek.  Not my favorite of the holidays.  I guess I don't mind kids dressing up.  That's kinda fun.  And the candy.  I like the candy.  Mostly the Reese's though.  I used to convince Little Sister to trade me her good candy for my yucky candy.  You know what I mean - the cheap-o drugstore candy that sticks to the wrapper and is barely a flavor?  I would tell her, "Jessica, I'll trade you FIVE of these candies for ONE Reese's or KitKat."  Five for one! What a deal!  She went for it every time.  Sucker (pun intended).  I know, I was such a mean big sister.  I'm nicer now.  Right, Jess?

Maybe those feelings of guilt from abusing my wicked 9-year-old negotiating skills to take advantage of my innocent younger sister have contributed to my dislike of Halloween.  Who knows?  I just kind of hate it, that's all.  It's not really a religious thing; I think it's possible to separate all of the hedonistic evil stuff from the innocent cultural celebration of neighborhood kids going door-to-door dressed as a bat or a princess or a ghost or a spoon.  But for some reason, parts of it just grate on me like the sound of Lila scraping her teeth on the stainless steel measuring cup.  Can you hear it?  Yep.  You're welcome.

I hate the combination of orange and black.  I hate the creepy masks and evil-looking yard art that overtake every store.  I hate the sugar-high my students have for the first half of November.  I hate the general creepiness of the fact that any weirdo hiding behind a Jason mask could be walking around with our kids.  Although sometimes that weirdo is just Joe Montana trying to freak out the neighborhood youngsters - yeah, that happened to Eric's friend, Sue.  But once again, I digress.




My husband on the other hand LOVES Halloween.  That's right.  He was the 18-year-old zombie walking around with a pillowcase when all the kiddos were already home for bed.  Okay, maybe he was 12, but still he was much too old for trick-or-treating.  My point is, we disagree on the virtues of Halloween.  We've had many-a-discussion around whether or not we will do Halloween with our kids.  I think I've lost.  Apparently my cunning argument of "But, but, the hideous color combinations!  And the monster-fied Target!" isn't grounds for appeal.  So, begrudgingly, I've been considering Lila's first Halloween costume.  Only every time I look at baby costumes online I get that same creeped-out feeling that I get when I look at Anne Geddes pictures.  Children just should not be dressed as flower pots or hot dogs.
No.
So help me!  I'm looking for fun (cheap) homemade ideas that won't make it look like I'm abusing my child.  So far Eric's ideas are a Monchhichi and a waffle.  I'm looking to expand our options.  Although, she does kinda look like a Monchhichi:
seriously.
Alright people, get those ideas flowing!  We'll narrow down the options to 2 or 3 and then do a poll to decide which one to use.  Because you guys really care about this.  I know you do.  Ready...GO!

11 comments:

michelle said...

with a pink nighty and a rosy nose and cheeks she could easily be cindy-lou-hoo front the grinch who stole christmas...and thus also be prepping her for all the x-mas (and birthday festivities) a win win for both you and eric? maybe? :)

Katy said...

HMMM, I also love Halloween, I don't know what it is I love about it, but I do. Maybe it is the dressing up. Ideas...Tony is scooby doo this year, got the very best costume at Buycostume.com
I have it, a white hat, soft blue sweatshirt and white pants and she is a smurf. How cute is that!! You can see buycostume.com for ideas too..There is even a sock monkey costume, I know Eric would love that...HEHE!! love ya, Katy

Mr. Colorful said...

You could always dress her up as me. All it would take is a t-shirt, shorts and a brightly colored hat.

But I know you won't do that and I don't really have any other ideas.

amy said...

Ohmygoodness I LOVE Halloween! Well, not the trick-or-treaters (I'm the person who turns the porch light off) or the candy (sugar? eww!), but the fact that you can DRESS UP LIKE WHATEVER YOU WANT?!?!? Glory be.

Ok. I've got it. (Granted, this IS a recycled idea that I did with a friend a few years back...) Since you, Kels, don't like Halloween, you can just stand back and take the pics. Eric just carries around his drumsticks, you get LJ a little cowgirl hat and bam! They're a little bit country and a little bit rock-n-roll.

:)?

Caley and Patrick said...

I was a clown when I was little. Find a funny jumpsuit and paint the face... Or, make her a pumpkin and paint her hair green- it could be the stem :) You could make her a ballerina- she might wear that more often than halloween...I think my birthday ideas were much better...

Sarah said...

Eric should be a pirate and Lila should be a parrot. If you wanted to dress up, you can be a pirate too. Or Wendy.

Anonymous said...

kels, i like sarahs idea, you could have cousin laura come also and she could be tink. frannie could be nana.
OR you could have her and reave go together and if it is warm out they could go as adam and eve, just pick up a few fig leaves and an apple. eric could be a serpent

Katy said...

Hey, I like the parrot and pirate idea and the adam and eve idea. Take care, Katy

hollyandruss said...

I'm with Eric- I love Halloween!! As a kid, it was the only time I actually got candy! I think Lila as a parrot is such a cute idea..or maybe Strawberry Shortcake- all she would need is a pink bonnet, a little red and white dress and some freckles :)

Kelly Sime said...

turkey?

Jessica said...

Lila should be her fun aunt jess for halloween! she wouldn't even have to dress up!