Saturday, November 6, 2010

A call to prayer

Well, I was planning on a Halloween picture post, but that will have to be for another day.  There is something else I feel like I need to share even though I almost don't have the energy to share it.  I don't even really know where to begin.  But, I want to invite you all to pray with us on behalf of our friends.  The short version is this: 


Our friends Matt and Molly have adopted two little girls.  For the last two and a half years, they have been in a legal battle with their youngest daughter's birthfather.  He contested the adoption claiming he didn't know that the baby had been born.  As more details emerged, it became clear what Matt and Molly had always felt deep in their hearts: Waverley was their daughter.  She was meant to be a part of their family.  That was the best place for her.  They learned that it is actually the paternal grandmother who is pushing her son to contest the adoption.  The birthfather is young (20 years old at the time of Wavy's birth) and immersed in an unhealthy lifestyle involving drugs and alcohol.  In fact, the grandmother testified in court that she wants her son to be a parent because she thinks it will help him "grow up."  There's so much more that goes into this, but because of privacy issues, they have asked us not to link directly to their blog, so if you want to read the nitty gritty, leave a comment and I will send you a link to their blog privately.


Adoption law does not allow for the judges to consider the child's best interest in their decisions - they must solely consider the birthparents' rights.  So, even if the Justices thought that Wavy would be better off with Matt and Molly, by law they are obligated to rule in favor of the birthfather if they believe that his rights have been violated.  Matt and Molly won the initial court decision 2 years ago and have since won the first appeal.  All looked good and I think everyone began to be hopeful that this long journey would be over and we would be celebrating the fact that Waverley was officially their daughter.  However, the last step of the appeals process was the Kansas Supreme Court and last Friday we learned that the Supreme Court had reversed all of the previous rulings.   Unfortunately, the only option for appeals is to take it to the U.S. Supreme Court, but it is very unlikely that their case would even be heard on that level.  In other words, they are out of options and the bottom line is Waverley is going to be taken from Matt and Molly and her big sister, Harper. 


We are...heartbroken, enraged, confused, disappointed.  As a mommy with a daughter, I haven't been able to go long without bursting into tears thinking about Molly having to drop off her baby and drive away or Wavy starting a whole new life in an unknown, perhaps unsafe place without a mama.  I have had to resist the urge to go wake Lila up and snuggle her to remind myself that she can't be taken from me.  Being a mom makes you a little nutty when it comes to your kids!

I have prayed and prayed and have gone from despair and confusion to a real sense of peace that God is not done working in this situation.

I wanted to share something with you all with the hope that it might give you some direction for your prayers or at least some hope that the Lord is active in this situation. Last Saturday night I couldn't sleep and felt the Lord calling me to prayer. I wept and prayed for Matt and Molly, Wavy and Harper and asked all the questions that I'm sure everyone is asking: Why? How? What now?  After several minutes of praying, I believe the Lord began to remind me of stories from Scripture: the prostitutes who fought over the child in Solomon's court, the firstborn boys being spared during Passover, Abraham and Isaac, Jesus himself. All were stories of children whose lives and futures were in jeopardy but were saved at the last minute. And then I believe I heard the Lord say: "I always provide a lamb."

Now I would like to interpret that as God is planning on returning Wavy to Matt and Molly at the last second, but I just don't know if that is true.  What I do know is that all things are possible with God and that the prayers of the righteous have great power and wonderful results.  So please join us in praying for a lamb - that is, a substitute or another option - for Waverly so that she might be able to grow up in the only home she has ever known and with parents who love her and love Jesus.  It would be a miracle, I know, but thankfully we have a God who has a habit of performing miracles!  So, let's pray on behalf of this sweet face:
Waverley

6 comments:

Jessica said...

good one.

Stewart Family Blog said...

thanks for sharing this story, kelsey. i will pray. i can only imagine the pain and frustration of this entire situation. believing that God is going to provide. love to you and your family.

Sarah said...

Hey Kelsey, I would love the link to Matt & Molly's blog. Do you know if the birth father will allow them to still be involved in Waverly's life? And do you know if any further action can be taken against the birth father as an unfit parent since he's using drugs? I found the judicial opinion (don't worry, there wasn't any identifying information, but it was easy for me to find since I knew what to look for) and am interested in following their case.

Stacey said...

Thank you for sharing this story we will be praying for her. I found you by accident on another blog telling us to read this story. Please keep us updated.

Katy said...

Kelsey, They are in my prayers too. Thank you for this story. I am like you, it makes you want to go and pick up your little one and hold on tight. Katy

Mira's mom said...

Kelsey, thanks for sharing this story. I have been praying for this family and thinking of them the past few days. Keep us updated if you can so I know how to continue to pray. My motherly heart too is broken over this. But, remembering that God loves Waverley far more than anyone else and has His glory and her best interest at heart. Praying!