Sunday, December 12, 2010

Oh Happy Christmas Birthday Tree to You

I have learned over the years that tree choosing is the one area of our marriage where it is not worth trying to be the decision maker.  The Husband, ever the nature-enthusiast, is particularly passionate about his Christmas tree.  I have come to recognize the look he gets on his face when he has found "the One."    This year, LJ and I followed him around for about 5 minutes until we succumbed to the cold.  As I headed inside with a red-cheeked and grumpy Baby Girl, I said over my shoulder, "You talk to the trees and text me when you've found one."  About 10 minutes later I received this text:

"Got her.  Trimming and binding."

Her.  Evidently Christmas trees are female.  But as much as I tease him for it, the man knows how to choose a good tree.  She is a beaut. 

I was all excited about Lila's first tree-hunting experience.  However, as I eluded to before, Lila grumped her way through.  I think due to the extra layers of clothing which made it hard for her to move her limbs, her apparently bottomless pit of a tummy, and her adventuresome nature and toddler-like desire for autonomy.  No, really mom, I can wander the aisles of Home Depot on my own.  I don't need you.  I really wish you wouldn't insist on holding my hand.
This is before we left so the grumpies hadn't hit in full force.  Yet.

Lila and Mommy taking refuge from the cold in the car.
Self-explanatory.
Watching Daddy tying the tree to the top of the car.
The only way I could get her to stop yelling on the way home was to give her string cheese.

I don't know why I allow myself to have such high expectations for the small little firsts of Lila's life.  She seems to have a sixth sense about those events and plans her biggest hissy fits for those times.   I think it's that I'm starting to understand just how fleeting these days are.  When she was a few days or a few weeks old and people would tell me "it goes by so fast," I would think, "I feel like I haven't slept in about 8 years and it's only been 4 days.  This does not go by fast."  But now I find myself grieving the fact that we are about to say good-bye to Lila's first year and with it, a lot of her firsts.  And it has gone by fast!

Which brings me to my next point.  The big day is coming!  Lila's birthday is in 4 days!!  Huzzah!  Clearly I have been in need of some sort of creative outlet because I've been in major party-planning mode for 3 weeks now.  Here's a preview:

One!
Are you excited?  I am.  

4 comments:

Jessica said...

she is so damn cute.
it's ridiculous.

Jami Nato said...

whoa! you have a big girl now...not a baby!

Mr. Colorful said...

I think you should let her wander under alone under the aisles at Home Depot.

Katy said...

I can't wait until her birthday party! She is a darling little baby girl. Katy