Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 14

28 Things to Love about Lila
Day 14

You love to imitate. Wow, kiddo. You're so lucky to have a mom who loves so well. I don't know how anyone is supposed to write a follow up to the most wonderful things that have ever been said about him, but your dad's going to give it a shot.

Since you were a few weeks old and really started to move your head around and gaze at the happenings around you, we've had a sense that you were into learning. In fact that was your mom's question every time you focused in on something or someone and it seemed like you left us for just a moment or two; "Lila, what are you learning?" So it shouldn't surprise me that when you hear a new sound or word, or I make a face when we're playing that you are eager repeat it, albeit with your own flair. Though I tell you almost daily that you simply must stop growing, I see glimmers of your future self that I am absolutely taken with, and seeing you learn new things is something that I will never grow tired of.

A few weeks ago I was feeding you breakfast (which is the first thing I do on Saturday mornings, just before putting you on my lap to watch the Muppet Show and going to John's Spaceage to share an applesauce donut. I LOVE Saturdays) and you paused mid-chew, staring up at me with much expectation, as if to challenge me to do something worth your attention. So I smiled and responded with an exaggerated blink. You considered my response for a moment, finished chewing, then opened your mouth and blinked back twice. Touché. Now it's almost a routine part of mealtime that you look up at me and blink and I blink back. It may not sound like much, but it looks like this:

video

And that's freaking adorable.

The second thing you did probably wasn't imitation per se, but it was on my birthday so I'm going to assume you were trying to be like me. For about sixty seconds I thought you wanted to be a drummer. Jason Hamilton may be a prophet.

video

I can't wait to find out what you're going to learn next. Happy Valentine's Day, Little Love.

2 comments:

Jessica Blake said...

excellent traditional grip.
i love it!
good one eric.

Katy said...

So sweet, I love her babbling!