Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 16

28 Things to Love about Lila
Day 16

Our bedtime routine.  After you're zipped into your sleep sack, we give you your bink, your snuggle blanket and your little lambie.  Then we cuddle with you for a few minutes and do our quick little routine:

We sing the Beatles' song I Will.  I've been singing this to you since you were a resident of my belly.  I'll love you forever and forever; love you with all my heart.  I'll love you whenever we're together; love you when we're apart.  As I sing, I look up at the sweet artwork hanging above your bed that our friend Cari made for you.  And I can't help but smile when I sing the last line of the song - for the things you do endear you to me - because more often than not, you do something cute or silly right on cue as I am singing that line.  Maybe you intuitively know what I'm singing, or maybe I'm just looking for it.  Either way, those just-before-bed quirks are so sweet to me.
Click here to read about all the lovely little nuances
Cari snuck into this piece that made it unique to Lila.

Next we say your scripture to you.  I hope that by whispering these words to you each night, they dig deep roots in your heart so that when you are older and facing deep waters, rivers of difficulty and fires of oppression you will remember them and have hope and faith in the goodness of a Savior who has called you by name - you are mine.

Then we give you kisses in between these four lines:
I love you. *kiss*
Jesus loves you. *kiss*
I'm so proud of you. *kiss*
I'm so glad I'm your mommy/daddy. *kiss*
I can't take credit for coming up with those words.  Your Pop used to say them to me at bedtime when I was little.  They aren't just words.  They are true words.  I mean them and as I say them, I think about how true they are and the things that happened that day to make them true.

Finally, we lay you down in bed, I sweep your hair out of your eyes and tell you to have a good sleep.

Most nights that's all you need.  You are so tuckered out from playing hard all day that you fall right to sleep.  Of course, tonight you fought it and cried for 20 minutes, then started blowing raspberries and babbling until I finally went in to make sure you weren't poopy.  As I was changing your diaper, you just talked and talked to me as though it weren't 45 minutes past your bedtime.  I'm such a sucker.  I gave you another bottle and cuddled you some more before I put you back in bed.  I told myself it was because you have been teething and it's made you a little needier than usual.  In truth, though, I was grateful for an excuse to have a few extra minutes with you.  

I love you.  Jesus loves you.  I'm so proud of you.  I'm so glad I'm your mommy.





2 comments:

rachel porter said...

this is COMPLETELY adorable and she is getting so BIG!

Katy said...

That is so precious! Thank you for sharing that with us. So sweet!