Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 21

28 Things to Love about Lila
Day 21

Your name.  I love your name and I love the way you say it - Yi-ya!  I know this might seem a little self-indulgent considering I named you, but there was so much more that went into that process that I can't take credit for.  I truly feel like the Lord named you.   I believe and hope that your name will become your identity as you grow up.  Because your name tells you more than who you are.   It tells you whose you are.  And as a very wise woman says, "You have to know whose you are before you can know who you are."  

Lila, your name means you are mine in Hebrew, and that phrase comes right out of Scripture.  The Lord says through his prophet Isaiah, "Listen to the One who created you.  O Israel, the One who formed you says, 'Do not be afraid, I have ransomed you.  I have called you by name, YOU ARE MINE.'"  

So whose are you?  Who is calling you by name?  The One who formed you.  The One who created you.  The One who ransomed you.  The One who says, "Do not be afraid."  The One King, the One God, the Holy One.  He is the One who claims you as his.  But not as his slave or his servant - as his child.    

I know I can't protect your identity completely.  I know that the world will try to teach you who you are.  Perhaps you will start to believe them when they call you know-it-all or stupid; suck-up or trouble maker; snobby or dorky.  But my hope is that your name will be a reminder to you of your true identity - that above all other labels, you will see yourself as someone who belongs to God - someone he calls his!  

And God must really beam with pride when he calls you his, because I can't begin to tell you how proud I am to call you mine!   

photo credit: Jenae Weinbrenner - imij foto
photo credit: Jenae Weinbrenner - imij foto

3 comments:

Katy said...

Oh golly, I don't even have the words to describe the pictures. You are such an awesome mom!

Anonymous said...

and i cannot begin to tell you how proud i am of you my kelsey!
such sweet beautiful words!!!

Holly said...

These pictures are so beautiful!! God is SO good!