Tuesday, July 12, 2011

a new story: part two

If you are just joining our new story, read part one here.
On the plane ride home from Ethiopia, we observed several children coming home with their newly adoptive families.  And during our layover in DC, we met a couple who were on their way back to Ethiopia to pick up their third adopted child.  Watching these families sparked conversation amongst the group and several of us discussed how we'd love to adopt some day.  Eric and I discussed the idea of adding to our family by adoption and decided we wanted to try to get pregnant first and potentially adopt once our children were older.

After we got back from Ethiopia, we often talked about our kids and where they lived and how we loved our time there.   But soon we were distracted with other adventures.  We went to Ethiopia in March of 2008 and that fall we went on our long overdue honeymoon to Hawaii.  As soon as we got back from Hawaii, we began working on our next adventure: parenthood.  By the following March, we were pregnant with our little peanut!

Small Peanut.
Needless to say, having Lila changed our lives for the better and each day with her made us more and more in love with our life.  But almost as soon as one kid is "out the gate" people begin asking you when your next one is coming.  I mean, sheesh!  Give a mama some time to adjust!  So Eric and I began having conversations every once in awhile about our next child.

I didn't have the easiest of pregnancies.  I didn't have any weird complications, but I had ALL of the normal ones:  morning sickness, swollen everything, food aversions,  heartburn, etc.  You name it, I had it.   Plus, Lila gave me a run for my money her first year with her biting eating habits and nap protests and general attitude-bossiness.  AND, selfishly, I had not been the glowing, sexy pregnant mama every girl thinks/hopes she'll be.  And it took much longer than I had anticipated to get back to my pre-baby body.  (Actually, certain stubborn tummy regions still aren't cooperating in that arena despite all my quality time spent with Jillian Michaels!)

So I wasn't all that pumped about going through all that again so soon.  But I knew I wanted Lila to have a sibling close-ish in age so we settled on trying for our second when Lila was almost two (as in Fall of 2011, as in THIS Fall).

Let's back up a bit, though because a very significant part of our story happened last Fall.  If you've been reading our blog, you will know our friends Matt and Molly's story.  (To read the story, click on the picture of that cute little dimpled child on the right.)  When we got the news that Matt and Molly had lost the Supreme Court appeal that would have finally ended the 2.5 year-long battle to finalize the adoption of their daughter, Waverley, I was wrecked.  Theres's really no other word for it.  I thought about it night and day.  I couldn't sleep.  I would stay up until all hours of the morning praying and begging God to step in and change things.  I began to tell their story on this blog and ask you to join me in those prayers.

In the midst of all this, I started to wonder why exactly I was so torn up about this tragedy.  Not because the situation didn't deserve that reaction, but because of my proximity to Matt and Molly.  We are friends, but not close friends.  Our circles interconnect in many places, but I wouldn't say we are in one another's inner circles.  And after all, there have been many terrible things I have heard about, said a prayer and moved on.  But Waverley's story was different.

So I began to ask myself why it was different.

Was it because I was a mom and I could sympathize with Molly's heartbreak over losing her baby girl?

Was it because this tragedy was unearthing an unknown fear of losing Lila suddenly?

Or was it because God was doing something?

Was God using Matt and Molly's story to affect change in my own?

Check back tomorrow for part three!

4 comments:

Jessica Blake said...

this was the first thing you did this morning, wasn't it? :)

Jami Nato said...

sooooo excited for you guys...

Annabelle said...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but my name is Jacy Cox and I saw your sister post your blog on FB and just happened to take a glance. She made it sound so interesting. : ) I couldn't believe what I started reading. I know Matt and Molly's story through Matt's Mother. I have no direct relationship with them, but on my drive home tonight their story was weighing so heavily on my heart it felt like my chest was going to give way. I couldn't stop thinking about them and I can't help but weep over their situation. Then I just happened upon this blog. Not sure what God is doing, but will be coming back tomorrow for the rest of your story.