Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bragging on my kid

We went to First Fridays tonight to see a friend's art show.  Lila was a mess for no apparent reason.  Everything was setting her off and she was far from her usual charming self.  We've had a lot of social time this week so could it be that I've found the limit of my extroverted child's people capacity?

Anyway, I'm writing this quick post to share with you a conversation that, in all humility, amazed me at my child's intelligence.

As I mentioned before, Lila was having some major meltdowns at the gallery where our friend's art was displayed - mostly out of what appeared to be some frustrations with pushing her stroller around the crowded gallery.  No amount of consoling or problem solving seemed to satisfy her, so we finally just threw in the towel and headed home.

When we got in the car, she seemed to perk up for whatever reason, so I asked her:

Me: Lila, why were you so grumpy at the store?
Lila: Sad.
Me: Oh, you were sad?
Lila: Yeah.
Me: Why were you sad?
Lila: Stroller. Push.
Me: You wanted to push the stroller?
Lila: Yeah.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, Baby.  There were too many people in the store to push the stroller, weren't there?
Lila: Yeah.

Eric and I were just recounting that conversation and I remarked how amazing it is that she could explain how she was feeling and why she was acting the way she did.  His response was priceless, "I can't even do that, yet."

So, yeah.  At the risk of being that mom.  My kid's a genius.
cute genius

1 comment:

Katy said...

Yes, Lila you are a genius!