Saturday, September 24, 2011

with a little help from my friends

We've got our home visit coming up on Monday which means that I have been officially in a state of frenzy trying to get my house in order.  So last week, I sent out this email:
Hey friends, I'm humbly asking for your help.  We have our home visit for our home study on Monday September 26th and my house is in need of a good deep cleaning for the occasion.  I hate cleaning, so (I am embarrassed to admit) I rarely clean beyond sweeping, vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms.  I need windows washed, floor scrubbed, baseboards, cabinets and doors wiped down, the garage reorganized (a MONUMENTAL project), and the house dusted. 
 I would be ever so grateful to have your help.  So I am hosting a cleaning party on Saturday the 24th at 4:00.  I'm hoping with a good group of us, we can knock it out pretty quick and then celebrate with some pizza or something for dinner.   
What say you?  I know it doesn't sound like fun (who likes cleaning? Oh, pipe down, Mrs. Battleson!), so it's purely a favor to me and I'll owe you one.  Who am I kidding.  I already owe you all lots of "ones."  Add it to my tab.  Love you all!  Even if you reply to this email and say "no way, José!" 
I had been told by several people that this home visit was not a "white glove check" but I wasn't about to take any chances.  If I'm honest, it took some pride-swallowing and sincere trust in my friends' ability to not judge me by my dirty house to even write that email.  And I was amazed and humbled by the response.  Let me clarify: I wasn't amazed that my friends would be willing to give up their Saturday afternoon to clean someone else's house - they're just those kind of people.  I was amazed that I am lucky enough to have friends like these people.

I just took a lap around my house and was awed by the sparkling tubs, the dust-free shelves, the smudge-free windows, the curtains no longer covered in dog hair and the general scent of clean permeating the house.  And the only emotion I can seem to muster is all-out gratitude.  Seriously, how did I get so lucky to have friends like these?

Oh and I can't believe I didn't take a before picture of our garage.  The best description of its previous state is a "pile."  Or rather, "a pile of clothes and toys and lawn equipment and soil and mulch and bikes and car seats and tubs and old speakers and microwaves and the hover board from Eric's Halloween costume from 2004 (he was Marty McFly) and shovels and dog food and a wagon and some spiders and a really big green stuffed frog."  And now, thanks to my stud of a husband, it looks like this:

The biggest difference? The fact that there is a path through the garage.  And that I had somewhere to stand to take the picture.

And my house looks like this:

 And this:

And this:

And I look like this:

Don't I look tired and happy and thankful?  I am all of those things.  But mostly thankful.

4 comments:

jordanne said...

looooks good! I'd say you are ready!

Becky said...

Can you send those people to my house this weekend? I could use all of that... :-) Trusting tonight will go perfectly!

Jami Nato said...

good friends. good friends.

Katy said...

Looks great, I didn't get the email, I would have come over and helped for a couple hours! :(