Friday, April 27, 2012

retribution

Continuing our week of injuries, I've got another one to add to the list.

Monday afternoon, we came home from having lunch with Daddy and started collecting Lila's many comfort objects before her nap (Lambie, Snuggle, Birdie Blanket and Bink).  Lila found her Birdie Blanket and spread it out of the floor and sat on it.  Franny saw this as an invitation to come lick Lila's face which usually is welcomed by giggles.  Instead, Lila screeched and then wailed.  And then kept wailing.  At first I thought she was being overdramatic because she was tired.  And then I realized she was holding her left eye.

"What happened, Peanut?"
"Franny lick my eeeeeeyyyyyyyyeeeeeeee!!!!!"
"Franny licked your eye?"
"YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

She wouldn't let me look at it, wouldn't open it.  It clearly hurt, but I wasn't all that concerned so I put her to bed thinking it would be better when she woke up from her nap.  However, she woke up two hours later crying and holding her eye.  When I asked her if it hurt, she said yes.

"Does your eye still hurt?"
"Yeeeeaaahhhhh," she whined.  "Da doggy lick my eye!"
"The doggy licked your eye?"
"Yeah, DAT doggy," she said in an accusatory voice, pointing forcefully at Franny, "FRANNY."

Clearly she was holding a grudge.

I was starting to be concerned since it was two hours later and she was still not wanting to open her eye.  I said out loud mostly to myself, "I wonder if we need to take you to the doctor."

Now I should back up and tell you that we had been to the doctor that morning for a follow-up appointment after Lila's ear infection last month.  And at that appointment Lila was given a sucker.  Lila NEVER gets candy so she thought this was the most awesome thing that had ever happened to her.  I made her wait to eat it until after her lunch and she devoured it in the car on the way home.  This was, of course, pre-eye-licking.

So when I wondered out loud if I should take her to the doctor, I believe all she heard was, "Blah, blah, blah, blah-blah, SUCKER."  

And thus she began chiming in her opinion, "I need ta go to da doctuh."
"You do?"
"Yeah."
"Because your eye hurts?"
"Yeah.  And I get a suckuh?"

Ah-ha.  Doctor=sucker.

Without giving much weight to Lila's opinion, I decided to call my eye doctor to see what they said and of course they told me to bring her in.  The last appointment was in 20 minutes, could I make it?  Last appointment! 20 minutes!  Here's what I was thinking: On one hand, she might be fine and it would be a waste of another $35 co-pay (remember, we'd already been to the doctor that day), on the other hand, if something was really wrong, I was risking missing the last appointment of the day and might end up in the ER or something dramatic like that!  In a mini-panic, I said I'd be there and ran around shoving diapers in my purse and grabbing a snack for Lila while she whined and whimpered on the couch, secretly planning what flavor sucker she would choose.

I buckled her in the car and as I pulled out of the driveway, I turned to check for cars and noticed that she no longer had her hand on her eye.  In fact, besides looking rather grumpy, she looked completely fine.  And then I started to feel rather foolish.  She was fine.  Her eye was fine.  She had hoodwinked me into thinking she was more hurt than she was and was going to get rewarded for her little stunt by receiving another sucker.  I was the sucker.  I was THAT mom who freaks out at every little thing and brings her kid to the doctor because THE DOG LICKED HER.  Seriously, what is wrong with me?

I called the Husband to get another opinion and he confirmed my suspicions.  I believe his words were, "She's fine, you ninny."  Just kidding, he was much more supportive than that, but he did say that she was probably fine and that I should call Nurse Aunt Jess to make me feel better.

I took his advice and sheepishly called the eye doctor back and cancelled the appointment.  By this time, Lila was crying again - not because her eye hurt, but because she realized a sucker was not in her future.  So, naturally I got out my camera and took these pictures:


And that my friends, is what we call retribution.  

3 comments:

Jewel said...

hilarious. she is a brave little lady. & although I'm not yet a mom, I could totally see myself doing the same thing.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh so hard , reminds me of someone else from long ago..... Hold it? Lick it? Bite? I was a sucker too!

Katy said...

It happens to the best of us!!