Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July

Happy 4th of July everyone!  This was our first year really celebrating the 4th with Lila and we had a blast despite the crazy heat.  Mostly because we stayed inside all day until it was time to watch fireworks.

Lila's first 4th of July we spent in Manhattan with our best buds.  She was seven months old and mostly oblivious.  She just kind of looked around with wide-eyed exhaustion.
Sadly, this is the best picture I have from that 4th of July.
Last year, we were boring parents and decided to just put her to bed and we growled at the loud bangs and booms that threatened to wake our toddler up.

But this year we decided to go for it.  She can handle a late night here or there.  (Or rather, I can handle adjusting her bedtime routine a bit here or there.  I used to be so paranoid about breaking our rhythm because of all of our nap time battles.)

We had dinner with some friends and then met the Husband's family at their spot in their neighborhood.  Lila loved it.  I was a little nervous that she would be freaked out, but she did great!
My niece, Emma in the background on the left is saying, "So BRIGHT!" to my flash.  That face is classic.

Fingers in the mouth = a little unsure about this whole thing

I wrote down several of my favorite quotes of the night:

- There's one! There's one! There's one! There's one!
- Hi, fireworks! Hi!
- *Gasp* They're gonna get us!
- I don't like dat noise!
- See dat one?  See it, RJ? (RJ is her three-year-old cousin) It's weally big!
- The fireworks are flying!
- I want to go up in da sky.
- Can I fly?
- Hold on to me!  They're gonna get me!

And then, after the finale,
- AGAIN!

So, I think it was a hit!  Hooray for America's birthday!

Oh, yes. And Happy 3rd Anniversary of being our doggie, Francy-pants.  I guess I'll forgive you for breathing your hot, stinky dog breath on me the whole night.  You're a good dog.

No comments: