Saturday, August 25, 2012

A brief but earnest tribute to one Mr. Jerry Nelson


The world has lost a great friend and purveyor of popular culture this week. One of my favorite things to enjoy together with Lila, for a variety of reasons, is the Muppet Show so it makes me sad to count one less member of the Muppet universe, and an original one at that. Jerry Nelson passed away this week from cancer, and Lila and I spent Saturday morning soaking in some of his best work (not that that's any different from most Saturday mornings. Seriously, you don't know how much I love the Muppets and how much I love that Lila loves them too).

Nelson contributed mostly peripheral characters to the Muppet show and movies, but they were great nonetheless. In addition to Floyd Pepper, Lew Zealand, Dr. Julius Strangepork and Uncle Deadly, Nelson was best known for his forty years behind (or under, I suppose) Count von Count on Sesame Street. For every parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or babysitter that has ever uttered the phrase "ONE, ah, ah aaaaaah. TWO, ah ah aaaaaah," the world will be a little sadder. The Jim Henson Company has done a fairly impressive job of filling roles of departed Muppeteers over the years (though I still wish Frank Oz had chosen to be part of the most recent theatrical effort) so you Sesame Street parents out there can count on them not skipping a beat in production, but next time Lila counts up to the number of the day with the Count I'm going to feel a little pensive.

So let's take a look at one of my favorite Floyd moments that you gave us. Thank you, Jerry.

No comments: