Monday, November 5, 2012

our youngest supporter

Now that we're back in full-on fundraising mode (don't forget to buy your raffle ticket to earn a chance to win an American Girl Doll!), I've been going back over the financial tracking I have done for our Ethiopian adoption so I can set up documents and spreadsheets to track the donations and expenses for this adoption.  In doing so, I came across something I had meant to blog about, but lost track of.  

We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of our friends, family and even strangers over the last year and a half of this adoption journey.  But there are several really unique donations that just stick in my mind and make me tear up every time I think about them.  One of them is the story I'm about to tell you.

Toward the end of last school year, the parent of a former student sent me an email:

Dear Kelsey,
 
Happy Mother's Day!  How is the adoption coming along?
 
Isaac has been raising money for the adoption by making items and selling them in his "store" since we first heard about your raising money for the adoption back in the fall.  He has raised $47.35 and he's ready to give it to you.  What would be the best way to donate it to you? 
 
We hope and pray that all is moving along smoothly and that your family is well.
 
Sincerely,
Lisa

It turns out he had been busy making little trinkets out of paper and selling them to neighbors and family members.  I was so touched by my student's sweet heart that he would put so much effort into raising the money, and then be willing to give it away!  $50 is a lot of money anyway, but think about what $50 is to an eight-year-old!  When he brought it to me at school the next week, it was in an envelope marked: Mrs. Kautzi  $52.35


He had made another five dollars since her email!  I just couldn't get over it.  I still get a little teary whenever I think about it.  I wrote his mom back and said, "Never has $52.35 meant so much to me!"  And it's true!  
Truly, friends.  Every dollar that has been given to us has meant the world to us.  We can't do this without you and we are so grateful to have you all partnering with us to bring our babies home.  We are blessed beyond measure.  


I'll leave you with a picture of Isaac and me.  A few disclaimers: it was field day, thus the less-than-professional attire and the so-sunburnt-you-could-fry-eggs-on-them shoulders.  And I'm sorry for the (ahem) cleavage - it's hard to avoid that when you are (ahem-ahem) ample-breasted and it's 100+ degrees outside.  I now know not to lean down so far when having my photo taken with a student.  How embarrassing.  *sigh* Redirect your eyes to that sweet boy whose hard work and generous heart is helping to Make Way for our Ethiopian and Chinese babies!
our youngest supporter

3 comments:

Dana Butler said...

so precious.... love that kid! and his name! :)

Jessica Blake said...

this is the most preciousl thing ever.

Nancy said...

We would love to sponsor you in the American doll raffle!
We would love a grand baby from ethiopia OR china!