Sunday, November 11, 2012

Will you be one of our one hundred?

I've been thinking of ways that God might do "more than we ask or imagine" with this adoption.  I was thinking about all the things that are out of my control and the biggest thing weighing on me right now is the $30,000 we have to raise in 6 months.  

With our Ethiopian adoption funds we always had just enough, just before we needed it.  It was nerve-wracking, but God was always faithful.  We also had more time in between each goal.  But with this adoption, we have to raise a lot quickly.  Because we are adopting a waiting child, a lot of our fees will come back-to-back.  And I've been wondering if, because our need is different this time, God will provide differently - in another way.  In a really big way.

And then I had an idea.

It might not work, but I want to try it.

I was thinking about all the ways $30,000 breaks down into more manageable increments:
If 3,000 people each gave $10 we would have it.
If 1000 people each gave $30 we would have it.
If 30 people each gave $1000 we would have it.
If 300 people each gave $100, we would have it.

But all those numbers sounded overwhelming.  I don't know 3,000 people.  I don't know 30 people who can afford to give away $1,000.  Heck, I don't even know 300 people who can afford to give away $100!

But then I had the thought:

If we could get 100 people to commit to finding 10 people to donate $30 each to support our adoption, we would have $30,000.  

100 X 10 X 30 = 30,000.  Think about it.

Basically, I'd be asking people to raise $300.  But if you break it down to asking ten people to give $30, doesn't that sound a little more manageable? (Or if $30 sounds like too much to ask, finding 30 people giving $10?)

Do you know ten people who might give $30 to help bring a child home?

$30 to:
- give an orphan a family
- give a child with a medical condition access to the best care possible
- give a little girl a brother or sister
- give this mama a baby
- see God do really big things

If the answer is "yes," then let me ask you another question:

Will you commit to asking ten people to each give $30 toward our adoption fund?  OR will you commit to asking 30 people to give $10 to our adoption fund?

If you feel compelled to join this little experiment in God's faithfulness, email me at makewayfortheawesomekid (at) gmail (dot) com with the subject line: "I want to be one of the one hundred" and I will send you an email with more information about how to have people donate along with a flyer you can pass out, email or post to your blog or Facebook.

I have created a separate page for this little project.  Check out the One of One Hundred Project tab at the top of the blog and please consider being One of One Hundred.  Will you?

No comments: