Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 26

 Playing pretend with you.
Today you found your Tinkerbell keys and announced that you needed a car.  I was busy switching the laundry over so I distractedly suggested you make one with your chairs.  I came out of the laundry room and you had quite the setup.  

"We're going to the grocery store," you informed me, "what can be the grocery store?"

I cleared off the bottom shelf of our built-ins and pulled a few empty boxes out of our recycling bin to set up as a grocery shelf.  You disappeared into your room for a minute and came out pushing the shopping cart you got for Christmas.  You "shopped" quickly (dumping everything into the cart in one sweeping motion) and then looked at me and said, "Well, where am I going to put this stuff in my car?"

So we improvised again and set up a "trunk" on your pink stool.  As you loaded your groceries into the car I snapped a picture:



Then you loaded your baby and Lambie-babies into the car and picked up your steering wheel (the lid to a round storage container).

Pop stopped by between meetings while you were en route to Target and I captured this little exchange:


Oh, Lila.  It thrills me to no end to be a part of your little pretend games.  I find myself just as involved in the process as you are, raiding the cabinets for more food for the grocery store shelves and coming up with creative solutions to the obstacles in your imaginary world.  I long for the ability to suspend reality and fully engage in the imaginary as you do.  And it is also entertaining and enlightening to see my own habits mimicked back at me as you pretend.  Sometimes I cringe as you reveal my idiosyncrasies back to me and I am reminded what a sponge you are and make a mental note to be more aware of what I'm demonstrating to you even when I don't think you're paying attention!

I can't wait for the days when Faith is home and big enough to play pretend with you!  Double the fun!

1 comment:

Dana Butler said...

Oh my goodness, she is so BIG and adorable and awesome. :) xoxo