Friday, April 5, 2013

8 days

Faith has been our girl for eight days!  She's such a delight.  We are in love.

First swing.  She wasn't quite sure about it at first, but she warmed up to it pretty quickly.
She continues to be a happy baby, although each day feels like she does something different as far as sleeping and eating so I think it will be awhile before we can really figure out what she needs and organize a schedule around those needs.  Which kind of makes feel crazy.  Guess what? I like schedules.  I'm sure that surprises you.

Faith's birth mom came to visit today.  There was some confusion (I thought she was coming Friday), but miraculously my house was clean thanks to my awesome friend Heather who offered to take Lila for the morning so I could pick stuff up without having the Human Destroyer following me around undoing all of my putting away.  I tell ya, that girl show no interest in a toy until I have taken the time to put it away where it belongs.  Anyway, my friend Heather picked Lila up and her sweet kiddos entertained my girl for a good chunk of the day.  Lila came home regaling me with stories of the "camel" that her boyfriend Jude was riding (turns out it was a deer statue) and playing "farm" (I'm still not quite sure if they were pretending to be farmers or animals).  Heather is the best.  Not only did she come to my rescue, but she brought me a Dr. Pepper when she picked Lila up.  Now that's friendship. Heather, you're the best.

The visit with Birth Mom went well.  She was happy to see our house and was very gracious.  She did have a few opinions about things we should be doing differently which I can't really blame her for even if I sort of wanted to defend my ability to make decisions for my daughter.  Right now it mostly feels like we share Faith.  I completely and totally feel like Faith is my baby.  The fact that I'm excited to see her in the middle of the night when she wakes up wanting to eat or that I didn't gag when I got her poop on my hand is proof of that.  But I am also painfully aware of the fact that she has spent eight days in our care and six months in her birth mom's.  I cannot wait for the day when the scales tip in the other direction.  In my mind something magical will happen and all of my hesitations and self doubt will vanish and I will no longer be her adoptive mom, I will just be her mom.

That may not make much sense, but it's the best I can articulate.  Mostly what I want to say is I love this girl:

And I'm so glad I'm her mommy.

4 comments:

Annelise Meek said...

What an amazing story! I'm keeping you all in my prayers! Love you all!
I have loved getting to read all your posts!
Annie Meek

Dana Butler said...

I SO understand that "scales tipping" thing. I love you. You're an awesome mama.

Katy said...

Awesome post!! She is adorable and so glad you are her mommy too!!

Holly said...

You are doing a great job and Faith is such a blessed little girl. And her cheeks... I can't even describe cute they are!