Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Getting our Girl: Part 1

Today we hit the two week mark of having Faith in our family and it sort of feels like we have our sea legs.  Faith is doing so well.  To the point where I'm a little afraid things are about to fall apart.  It feels like we cheated.  Isn't there supposed to be some difficult adjustment time?  Maybe there will be and this is just the honeymoon phase, but we're enjoying it nonetheless.
Happy baby
I want to write up a few posts about the week we picked Faith up, but I haven't really had the time or mental energy to come up with the right words to do those days justice.  I'm going to try to start though.  I've already written about the day we found out that the adoption would be happening.  That was a Saturday and we spent Sunday rushing around trying to get our heads to stop spinning and figure out what took priority on our to-do lists.  As of Sunday, we still didn't really know the plan for the week.

Part of the chaos was that the timeline kept changing as we got new information and as the details fell into place.  In fact, the plan changed right up until the last minute.  There were a few things that we were waiting to hear had gotten figured out before we could make plans for making the trip to the town where Faith was living with her birth parents.  We went to bed on Sunday night not knowing if we would be driving the seven hours on Monday or Tuesday.  Or Wednesday or Thursday for that matter.

Monday morning, I called my friend Kathleen and asked if I could drop Lila off at her house for a few hours so that I could run errands and organize my thoughts without an inquisitive and needy three-year-old interrupting my processing.  I found myself meandering around Target buying such necessities as picture frames and curtains.  I simply could not pick up my new baby and bring her home to a room without curtains.  (Never mind the fact that said curtains have since been returned and replaced with different curtains.)  While I wandered, my phone was ringing like crazy.  I kept having to hang up on people to answer calls from other people.

Most of my conversations went like this:
Me: Hey, okay so here's the latest....oh wait hang on, So-and-So is calling me.  Lemme call you back.

We had asked my parents to come with us last minute to help with Lila, so my mom was calling me wanting to know the latest ETD so that she could plan her day.  Our adoption coordinator was calling about every 20 minutes with new information.  Then our attorney would call and tell us the latest from her end.  Then I would call my mom back and to inform her what I had learned, only to have to hang up on her because our adoption coordinator was calling again with a change of plan.  From Saturday on, my phone was dying by 3:00 in the afternoon from the excessive use!

When it was all said and done, we had a plan to leave that evening (Monday), meet Faith and her birth parents the next day (Tuesday), and have Faith's birth parents sign their papers Wednesday morning at which point we would pick Faith up and drive home.

There were multiple miracles that happened for that plan to come together.  As I've mentioned before, Faith's story has several complicating factors.  Not the smallest of which is that her birth parents do not speak English.  A big piece of the puzzle was finding translators to translate the legal documents, and certified interpreter to interpret the information while Faith's birth parents were signing their paperwork.  Then, the icing on the cake was finding someone to interpret for us when we met with Faith's birth parents on Tuesday.

Our attorney was amazing and she ended up cold-calling the community college and asking if they had any international students who spoke Mandarin.  Because God saw fit to leave no stone unturned in this story, we now have a special place in our hearts for a nineteen year old college student named Greg who gave up three hours of his day to interpret for us.  He did a fabulous job and I really don't know what we would have done without him.  At the very least, there's no way I would have the seven pages of notes of what Faith's birth mom told us about her and their family scrawled in my journal if not for him.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Let's back up to Monday again.

The Husband had been at work trying to tie up loose ends and waiting for a call from me telling him when to head home.  We got on the road a little before 5:00pm Monday night and drove the seven hours through most of Kansas to get to the town where Faith was living.  We got into town exhausted and nervous for the next day, and still pinching ourselves that this was actually happening!  We would be meeting our daughter in less than 12 hours!

To be continued...

1 comment:

Dana Butler said...

love this. so excited to read the rest. :) xo