Wednesday, August 14, 2013

more bullet points

Sorry it's been radio silent over here.  I've been...well I don't know where I've been or what I've been doing.  The last two weeks are gone and I just don't know what I did with them.  But I'm back.  Only to probably disappear again soon because The Week that May Send Me to the Loony Bin is coming up (aka: the week Faith's therapy, Lila's preschool, and my job start up again all at the same time!) and we all know that when I feel stressed and overwhelmed and over-committed I tend to become a hermit and stop talking to people altogether.  Even you virtual people.  I mean, you're real, but I talk to you virtually.  Through this virtual blog.  Virtual.  That word is starting to sound like jibberish.

Back to what I was saying: I'm back with an update of sorts.  And since my brain is incapable of composing a post with any sort of narrative these days, I've got some bullet points for you.  Again.

So here's a recap of the last few weeks:

- Faith is now sitting up for a good length of time!  I mean, not reliably.  I can't really leave her unattended.  But still! Sitting up!  Being cute! And then toppling over out of nowhere and face-smashing into the carpet (if she's lucky) or the hardwoods (if she's not).  But still!  Sitting up!  My big girl!

So proud!

- She also is scooting/rolling/pivoting like a champ.  I put her down in one place and leave them room and come back and she's in a whole other place!  Luckily for me, it still takes her quite awhile to move around, so she doesn't get herself in harm's way for the most part.  Although one day she did manage to scoot herself backwards and ended up stuck under the bed.  From whence I immediately rescued her without taking any pictures mocking her predicament...


until she cried and I felt guilty and saved her.

- My favorite thing Lila says right now is "I have a tummy-hank." (tummy ache)  I just love it.  I love it.  Oh it is the cutest thing and I don't ever want her to figure out the right way to say it.  I also love how she has some new phrases like, "Absolutely!" and "Oh-my-goodness-me-oh-my!"  I have no idea where she got that last one.  I can only assume it's from a show she's seen.  She picks up the most random lines from things like Curious George and Daniel Tiger.  Out of nowhere she told us, "I love you more than ice cream!" and we thought she was so clever and sweet.  Until we realized it's a line from Bedtime for Francis.  Sheesh.  Come up with something original, Lila.  Tummy hank.  Oh-my-goodness-me-oh-my!

- Okay, what else?  Oh!  This happened:
I texted this to the Husband saying "Bahahahahaha!" and he responded "Bless you."  I think he was having a hard day at work.

And then a few days later a cattle truck overturned on I-70! They had to call in actual cowboys to lasso up a cow that was making a break for it.  Do we live in Kansas or what?
source
- We had the privilege of attending the finalization hearing of our friends' littlest girl, Baby Maia.  She's the cutest little sweet pea.  Lila looked at her and said, "Oooooooooh!  She's so little!"  I think in her mind all babies join families at 6 months old and via adoption.  She tells me often that she is going to 'dopt her baby dolls.  "This is my baby.  I'm 'dopting her."  Anyway, they adopted Miss Maia through the same agency we used for Faith's adoption so the finalization was with the same attorney, same adoption consultant and in the same courtroom with the same judge as Faith's finalization hearing.  Yeah, I cried.  So what?  You would cry too if it happened to you.  (Are you singing "It's My Party" in your head now?  Me too.) It was an honor to be sitting in the seats behind Stan and Dana as they testified to the court their intent to call Maia their daughter.  When the judge asked if they understood that the adoption was final and irrevocable Stan responded, "Thank goodness!"  Well put, Stan and Amen to that!


- Speaking of our little adoptee... last week we had two really hard days with Faith.  It is rare that she is fussy and needy.  She's usually pretty content and passive.  But she was so fussy that by Friday I was about ready to pull my hair out and texted the Husband at 3:16: "Today would be a really good day for you to come home early" to rescue me or perhaps the children - I'm not sure who was in more dire straits.  He said he would do his best.  At 4:36 he texted me again that he was coming home, to which I responded "Thank goodness" and attached this picture:
Which, unfortunately was an accurate depiction of what the afternoon had been like.  By the time he got home, he found Faith in the middle of the living room floor where I had plopped her in exasperation while I went to lock myself in the bathroom and count down from twenty.  I don't know what her deal was, but she's got a runny nose now so I wonder if she just wasn't feeling well.  I can't say I handled it awesomely, but both my children are still alive and I still have my hair so I think I did pretty well considering.

On a related note, my dentist told me I should consider wearing a grinding guard during the day (in addition to the one I wear at night) because apparently I grind my teeth when I'm stressed and apparently I'm stressed enough to have ground my brand new filling smooth and flat in just 6 months.  Ha.  Do they really think I'm going to wear a mouth guard as I go about my day hollering at Lila to clean up her many projects she's begun around the house?  Do you think she'd take me seriously if I asked for her attention with a big blue guard in my mouth?  Which reminds me, have I ever told you the story of Lila imitating me wearing my night grinding guard?  I haven't?  Well it's probably because the story might not translate well over this format because 1) you can't get a good visual and 2) you really need to hear my imitation of her imitation for full comedic effect.  It's a story of one of those shining parenting moments when you get a glimpse into how your children view you and you groan internally at just how undignified your life really is.  (I highly doubt Kate Middleton kisses William goodnight wearing a bright blue mouth guard, but that, my friends is the Husband's nightly privilege.)   I'll save the story for another post.

Anyway, back to my list of updates...
- Lila starts preschool in a few weeks which I am both so excited about and dreading.  I'm dreading it because I'll miss her.  She's going Tuesdays and Thursdays and we have my school on Wednesdays so I won't see her three days in a row.  But I'm excited because I know she'll love it and it will give me some days with just Faith which I look forward to.  I'm doing my best to schedule doctor's appointments and therapy appointments for the days Lila is in school so we can just play and rest on Mondays and Fridays.

- I bought Lila a backpack for preschool.  After much research (I'm incapable of making a decision without doing an obsessive amount of research.  It's bordering on a sickness.) and some creative excuses for why she couldn't get a princess or Hello Kitty backpack, I settled on Lands' End's "My First Backpack."  It came in the mail the other day and she immediately stuffed it to the brim with the essentials:
She caught me taking this picture and I got a thorough scolding and reprimand, "You can't take a picture of MY backpack!"
- We went to Manhattan this weekend - just Lila, my mom and me - for two little girls' birthday parties. They conveniently scheduled them the same day back-to-back so it worked out great for us to go for the day.  My best friend's daughter, Lucy turned 6 and had a fancy tea party.  Lila LOVED it and I think it meant a lot to Lucy that we came because when Genny asked her what her favorite part of her party was, she said, "Lila."  I relayed that to Lila and she beamed.  I love seeing these friendships blossom between my kids and my friends' kids.  It's one of those things you hope for, but isn't guaranteed.  Lucy's a few years older than Lila, but they get along well and Lila thinks Lucy is just the coolest.


- After Lucy's party, we went to Evangeline's first birthday.  Evie is my cousin's little girl and we were so excited that it worked out for us to be there for her party.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of the festivities because I was too busy refereeing the wrestling match between Lila and the other kids over the toys, pulling Lila away from the presents, and catching her sneaking multiple Jello jigglers when she was supposed to be eating her lunch.  I caught her red-handed (literally - the jigglers were red and she had the coloring on her fingertips!) and when she realize she was caught she shoved the entire thing in her mouth and looked at me wide-eyed and guilty.  I just sighed and gave up the fight.

- We had Faith's hearing evaluation at the children's hospital today and it was both disappointing and encouraging.  We had received a letter in the mail saying to plan for up to two hours for our appointment, so I packed up food and bottles and diapers expecting to be there awhile.  I was hopeful that the length of the appointment meant that we would be doing some extensive tests and that we would leave with answers as to the severity of her hearing loss, what is causing it and what we can do about it.  The appointment ended up only being about 30 minutes long, and unfortunately we left with another referral and few answers.  We were referred to an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) doctor to get a more thorough evaluation.  That's kinda what I was hoping wouldn't happen, but oh well.

It definitely wasn't a waste of time.  The hospital had this really cool sound proof room with speakers on opposite walls and a windowed wall in between them.  The audiologist went into the room on the other side of the window and spoke through the speakers at different volumes to see if Faith would turn toward the sound of her voice.

I was surprised and pleased by how much she did respond to, but there were definitely some sounds and volumes she didn't seem to register.  In the end, the audiologist told us that she will likely need tubes in her ears, but that the ENT would give us a better idea of what that will look like and what the timeline might be.

- After Faith's appointment, we picked Lila up from my mom's where we found her "washing" dishes.
It's amazing what kids think is fun just because it's a grown up activity.  It's also amazing to see what grandparents come up with and allow that I would never consider doing at our house.  I think if Lila asked me if she could wash dishes, all I would think about would be the mess.  But now that I've witnessed how much she liked the soap and the pouring and the scrubbing, a little water spillage seems harmless.  We may have to try it at our house.  Assuming the Husband gets our sink put back together.  We are He is knee deep in a sink switcheroo that has become a bigger task than he thought it would be.  I'm just trying to stay out of the way and avoid putting my unhelpful two-cents into the situation.  (7+ years of marriage and I've learned to let him problem solve in his own way and not try to micro manage something I know very little about even if he does things totally different than I would.)  I'm grateful for a handy husband!


- And finally, Faith and I had a little photo shoot the other day.  Sister.  You are the cutest.



That's some serious cuteness, folks.  I love that girl more every day.  I'm so glad I get to be her Mommy.

Okay, I must go to bed.  We have our last swimming lesson of the summer tomorrow.  I'll have to remember to take a picture for the next post-o-bullet-points.  

Goodnight.  Over and out.



No comments: