Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Fairy Tale (not really)

Once upon a time (okay, it was today) I decided to walk to school to get my classroom ready for the next day.  I thought it would be a fun way to disguise an errand so that my little people saw it as "Adventure" rather than "Mom Is Dragging Us Around to Boring Places Again."  The bigger little person balked at the Adventure until I said (with dramatic enthusiasm), "You can ride your bike!"

"Okay!" she yelled and started throwing shoes out of the shoe basket, looking for the ones she wanted.

Fifteen minutes later, the little little person was buckled into the stroller and the bigger little person was getting cold feet about riding her bike on the sidewalk.

"There might be big bumps on there," she reasoned, "Maybe I should bring my scooter instead."

Sure.  Scooter, bike. Whatever it takes to get us out the door and down to school before they lock the doors.

We made it to the sidewalk on the other side of the street and across three sidewalk squares when we encountered some user error in the scooter department.  To be fair, it's kind of a hard scooter to maneuver - thus my suggestion that she ride her bike.  Since we were still so close to our house, I suggested she leave the scooter and just walk or give the bike a try.

"No.  I'll just carry it."

No amount of reasonable arguments could persuade her to reconsider this plan.

And so, we walked to school.  I pushed Faith in the stroller and Lila carried her scooter for six blocks.  Wearing her helmet.  I wish I had taken a picture.

And we all lived happily ever after.

The End.

No comments: